2008年11月13日木曜日

Looking up OED

I looked up the word "abortion" in OED. It said:

1. The act of giving untimely birth to offspring, premature delivery, miscarriage; the procuring of premature delivery so as to destroy offspring.

From this, I learnt that "abortion" means not just to kill the embryo but to give birth to baby except the time is not right. Also I found that the word "abort(noun)" has meaning of "to fail", which was a new idea to me. Because I thought abortion is done only on purpose.

1 件のコメント:

jodias さんのコメント...

It's good that you noted that 'abort' has the meaning 'to fail,' but note that the definition you gave for abortion, with the meaning of "giving birth before the time is right," or "miscarriage," is an archaic (i.e., old) usage of the word. It is interesting that the word used to have a much more broad meaning than it does now. Now, it refers to an intervention--usually medical--to terminate a pregnancy.